Crime suspects are often held in jail to make sure that they will face justice. Being in custody means that they will always be available to the courts. They won’t have the chance to go away and escape authorities. However, the court may grant them temporary freedom as long as they promise to participate in the legal proceedings. This possibility is available for most nonviolent crimes, especially if the suspect is not considered as a flight risk.
The judge presiding over the case will set a bail amount. This will be based on the severity of the offense, the number of prior arrests, the history of dealing with bail, the risk of flight, and other important factors. The person will be released once the amount is paid in full. The problem is that not everyone has a money to pay for bail outright. Well off suspects will be able to secure their freedom without any hassles but low income suspects will have a harder time.
The good news is that they don’t have to face this alone. Bail bondsmen can intervene for the benefit of the suspects. They can act as guarantors that these people will come to court when needed. They assume the debt obligation in case their clients fail to act as agreed upon. It is a big risk but they are willing to take it on for clients that can satisfy their own requirements. With their help, persons charged can get out of jail despite limited funds.
There is a schedule of bail amounts in most jurisdiction for common offenses. Instead of paying 100% of the bond, suspects will only need to pay 10%-15% of the amount to the bondsmen in most cases. This is usually small enough for the defendant or the loved ones to produce right away. Note that this effectively becomes a nonrefundable service fee for the assistance provided. Defendants can be released as soon as the papers are ready.
Aside from paying the 10% fee, defendants will have to provide the bondsmen with a form of collateral. The rest of the bail won’t have to be paid unless the person fails to show up in court as scheduled. With a bond in place, it will be up to the bail bondsman to pay the remaining 90% if a breach of trust happens. This large amount will be sourced from the defendant’s collateral. With this arrangement, defendants should be discouraged to flee from the law.
Possible collaterals include deeds on property and vehicles. Cash is always welcome as well. Some companies might also accept jewelry, bonds, stocks, and other valuables. Arrangements can be flexible depending on the case. Suspects will not have to worry about losing their assets as long as they go to court as promised. They can continue to live in their homes and use their cars without worries while they actively participate in the resolution of their court case. Bondsmen will not have any right to seize their property unless they fail to fulfill their obligations. Collateral will also be returned once the case is concluded, unlike the 10% service fee.
If defendants fail to make a court appearance, then the bail bondsman will be obligated to assist the police in taking them back into custody. Should the search be unsuccessful, then bondsmen will have to pay the courts with the full amount due for the bail bond. Loved ones who co-signed the bond may also be held liable so they will be affected financially. Before making the decision to become a fugitive, the possible financial burden on the family should be considered. Not everyone will be able to pay large amounts in a snap.
As you can see, the bail bond process is a complex undertaking. There are a lot of factors to think about before purchasing a bond including the requirements and the consequences. The help of people who care including family and friends will be crucial. For many, this is the best path towards immediate freedom. Respecting the judicial proceedings and facing the charges will make this a straightforward affair. The payments will be minimal and the collateral will be returned. For more information, discuss the process with a reputable bail bondsman.